COVID-19 UPDATE (for the duration of the pandemic)
Veteran Health Indiana has a comprehensive visitor policy that takes pandemic safety as our number one concern.
- Emergency room visit - 1 caregiver per veteran
- Medical appointment visit - 1 caregiver per veteran
- Hospitalized/Inpatient visit - 1 visitor per veteran, per day (visiting hours: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Hospitalized/Inpatient COVID visit - no visitation
- End of Life visit - (non-COVID) - no more than 2 visitors at a time
- End of Life visit - (COVID) - 1 hour daily for 2 visitors
For outpatients, no more than one caregiver per patient requiring assistance will be allowed to enter Veteran Health Indiana facilities; categories of assistance include:
- Patients in need of assistance with ambulation
- Patients with cognitive impairment
- Patients with vision or hearing issues, language barriers
- Patients in need of care during their visit
- Patients requiring a driver for a procedure or surgery
Please call the clinic in which you have an appointment to confirm that you meet the approved caregiver requirements. Only one caregiver per patient.
All caregivers will receive a sticker to wear with the date to indicate that they have been screened. All patients and authorized caregivers entering Veteran Health Indiana (VHI) facilities will be masked at the door by screening staff prior to gaining entrance to the facility. Patients and caregivers will be permitted to wear their own face coverings except for face coverings with a valve. Absolutely no visitors or caregivers under the age of 18 will be granted entry to VHI facilities.
If a caregiver is assisting a patient to the Emergency Department – The ED triage staff will ask the caregiver for their phone number as caregivers are not allowed in the Emergency Department or Respiratory Emergency Department.
Inpatient visiting - no visitors (unless approved by the patient's medical team).
Contacting a Patient (once visiting is open again)
If you come to visit a patient, please see our maps for directions and parking locations. You may also wish to review our visiting hours and policies page. Here is a list of our locations.
If you would like to send a card, gift or flowers to a patient, the mailing address is:
Patient Name (Patient Room Number)
c/o VA Medical Center
1481 West 10th Street
Indianapolis, IN 46202
For the location of an inpatient or their phone number, dial the Medical Center at (317) 554-0000. Outside of area code (317), call 888-878-6889.
Please contact our telephone care line if you need medical advice, have a question about your medication, or need to schedule a non-urgent appointment.
■Within area code (317), 988-1PRC (1772)
■Outside of area code (317), call 888-342-7602
Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center has a Police Service. Our officers provide 24-hour patrols of the facility and parking lots. For general police assistance, please dial (317) 988-2200. Because the VA medical center is federal property, all persons and bags are subject to search. In addition, no weapons, alcohol, photography or illegal drugs are permitted.
Lost and Found
Lost and Found is located in basement near the Laundry Room in the basement. You may also contact them at (317) 988-6030.
Food Court, Coffee Shop and Patriot Store
- Visitors are welcome to eat in the medical center Food Court, which is located on the first floor of the C-Wing. We offer hot and cold entrees, beverages and desserts. Vending machines are available for your convenience 24 hours a day.
- The We Proudly Brew Starbucks® Coffee Shop is located on the first floor of the A-Wing, conveniently . Visitors may also select from a variety of pastries, light sandwiches, and beverages. A Deli Shop is also located in this area.
- We offer a full-service retail store with such products as electronics, cosmetics, toiletries, and clothing. Items may be purchased tax-free. The retail store is open to patients, staff, and caregivers, and is located on the first floor of the C-Wing, across from the Food Court.