Veteran Health Indiana
Local Patient Access Data
Regularly updated patient access data is available for all VA Medical Centers and Community-Based Outpatient Clinics including average wait times, number of patients waiting for a scheduled appointment and number of patients that cannot be scheduled for an appointment in 90 days or less. To view this data, go to http://www.va.gov/health/access-audit.asp.
Changing or Canceling Your Appointment
If you cannot keep an existing, please contact us as soon as you are aware you cannot make your appointment. This will allow us to reschedule you sooner as well as schedule one of your fellow Veterans for the original appointment date and time. Call (317) 988-1PRC (1772). Outside of area code (317), call 888-878-6889 and press 2.
If you would like a Saturday appointment, ask you health care provider about this option.
We are working hard to see Veterans as close to appointment times as possible. If you have an appointment and arrive on time, our goal is for you to wait no longer than 30 minutes. You can help by:
- Being on time for appointments;
- Calling us if you have to cancel or will be late for an appointment;
- Bringing in test results, especially if you had the tests done someplace else. Your doctor will want to see X-rays, MRI, or CAT scan films.
Additionally, our standards of care include the following:
- Urgent care 24 hours a day;
- New patients desiring routine care will be scheduled as soon as possible, and within 30 days;
- Patients will be able to schedule an appointment with their primary care provider within 14 days;
- Patients will have an appointment with a specialist within 30 days of referral.
If you are not currently a patient at our medical center, and you wish to become one, you must report to the Health Benefits Unit (HBU) located on the first floor right by the Atrium entrance. Bring proof of honorable military service and proof of any medical insurance you may have. Also, please be prepared to tell your processor your annual income.
For additional information on how to register as a new patient, please contact the HBU at (317) 988-4306.
You may also visit the health benefits page for further help.
At Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center, we have established a number of procedures to assist you in getting an appointment without a long delay. Our goals are simple:
- you should be able to see your primary care provider no later than 14 days from enrollment;
- you should have faster access to specialty care.
Please note: appointments are not scheduled for the following federal holidays:
- New Year's Day (1/1)
- Martin Luther King Day (3rd Monday in January)
- President's Day (3rd Monday in February)
- Memorial Day (last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Labor Day (first Monday in September)
- Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Veterans Day (November 11)
- Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November)
- Christmas (December 25th)
The Indianapolis Medical Center Emergency Room is open 24 hours per day, seven days a week. The phone number is (317) 554-0000.
Perhaps your next visit can be handled over the telephone rather than having you come in. Ask your primary care provider about whether your next appointment qualifies as a Telephone Visit.