Veteran Health Indiana
Come Out to our Social Worker Event
Your VA social workers are celebrating 90 years of excellence! This year’s National Social Work Month theme - Forging Solutions Out of Challenges - celebrates the work your Indy VAMC social workers do to improve our Veterans' lives and communities.
The Department of Veterans Affairs is one largest employers of professional social workers in the country, with about 12,000 on staff (NASW). Your VAMC has over 100 social workers on our team.
VA social workers have a mission to help Veterans overcome the psychosocial barriers that impact physical and mental health. VA Social Workers are committed to the psychosocial welfare of the Veteran and his or her family and caregivers through the following values:
- To place at the center of our concern the dignity and worth of the individual;
- To incorporate into practice an understanding of the Veteran and his or her family and socio-cultural environment;
- To value and respect the distinctive role and expertise of each member of the multidisciplinary team;
- To identify gaps in services/resources and to advocate for system changes that are responsive to Veterans’ changing needs;
- To create within the discipline a learning environment that fosters new knowledge, enhances clinical social work practice and promotes administrative excellence;
- To be ethical in fulfilling our responsibilities;
- To be conscientious stewards of institutional and community resources essential to our mission.
During the month of March, the Indy VAMC will be celebrating throughout the month. We invite Veterans and families to stop by the Community Resource Fair on March 29, 2016 from 9a.m.-1p.m. in room C1202. Meet and learn about the community organizations that help us care for you.
Your VA social worker - forging solutions out of challenges!